Sunday, November 4, 2012

Mediterranean Tabbouleh


Hurricane Sandy was a wet and windy weekend for us in Washington DC. 
By God’s grace, we did not suffer the devastation that other cities did.  I was 
expecting our electricity to go out so I got started early making food for the 
two days.  I don’t make tabbouleh often but I have allot of parsley growing 
in my garden and some bulgur wheat in the cabinet. If you don’t 
have bulgur you can use quinoa which would make it “super tabbouleh” 
because quinoa is better than wheat.  Tabbouleh recipe usually has 
mint in it but since I did not have fresh mint, I used brewed mint tea, that
 was left over from breakfast.


 You’ll need:
1 cup of bulgar wheat
1/4 cup olive oil
4 key limes
sea salt to taste

1 cup boiled water
3 ripe plum tomatoes
1 medium red onion
1 large cucumber
3/4 cup of fresh parsley
2 tablespoon of fresh mint or 1/8 cup 
brewed mint tea

1. In a bowl, squeeze the limes and mix with olive oil, add a pinch of sea salt. Add bulgar let sit for 10 minutes. 

2. Then add boiling water (and mint tea) to bulgar and let sit at least 30 minutes while you chop cucumber, onion, tomatoes and parsley.

3. If any liquid remains in the bulgar drain off. Toss the bulgar with the fresh chopped parsley, onion, cucumber and tomatoes.  Eat well!

For a variation: Add avocado, chickpeas or olives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment